Sunday, September 12, 2010

Random things

I have been busy the last couple weeks with school and my goal this year to do some canning. The canning has been more interesting then I thought. I bought three bushels of peaches to can and it took longer then I thought. We did not even get to all the peaches, they were too hard and I was sick of peaches. With my dad, mom, and brother helping we got a little over 2 bushels done and it took all day. We got thirty jars. So I think that I learned that for next year to try and spread it out over two weeks.
I also made raspberry jam. I learned that it takes me 2 1/2 hours to pick 10 pounds of raspberries. Also you have to follow the directions on the pectin or your jam will not set. I have a batch of raspberry syrup.

This is my other project making herb vinegar. I planted herbs this year and decided to make some bottles of herb vinegar. I just did on Friday so it is too early to know if they came out good. But they look pretty so I guess if they don't taste good I can use them as decorations.
School is going well. It is starting to get harder. I have a test this week and an assignment due. I still have a ton to read. I am learning a lot though. I like all of my classes, especially Constitutional Law. What I am surprised at are some of the kids in my classes. I might sound like an old foggy, but kids now are lazy. In my Chinese Politics class our professor was lecturing and this kid next to me was reading in a book. I thought it was weird he was not taking notes. I looked over and he had a notebook full of notes and I realized that he had borrowed his friend's notes who had taken the class before. All I could think was I really hope that I don't have to work with you later, you are lazy. In my Political Analysis class there is a girl who was making a bag or something on this plastic hoop. I thought that was weird. There is another girl who sits in the front row and she texts and reads the paper right in front of the professor. I thought that was rude. She could at least sit in the back of the room if she is going to goof off.
I just don't think that most of the people who are in college realize how nice it is that they can go when so many people would like to and can't. I know I appreciate the opportunity more now that I have gone back. But I think that most of their parents pay for it so they probably don't care if they are wasting money.


3 comments:

  1. Good Job Elizabeth. Looks like you're getting lots done. I'm so jealous. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO Elizabeth! You should be so proud of all that you've accomplished so far this year, especially now that you're back in school. When you mentioned the girl in your one class who makes a basket during lectures, I can't help if she somehow escaped from a certain place where they do things like that all the time, if you know what I mean. . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was probably making a hat. I make them all the time. It relaxes me. I do it at home, however, as i watch TV. You are not a fuddy duddy. Kids nowadays have no respect for other people. Example: cell phones and texting. They use them in church and in restaurants and at the dinner table, all rude.

    ReplyDelete