Saturday, May 22, 2010

An Uncomfortable Situation

Two posts from me in one day, isn't the blogging world lucky. I forgot to write about a very awkward situation that happened to me at work last week. News spread fast about my decision to quit. Most people asked why I was going. So I have told everyone that I am leaving because I am going to school full-time. That is my official answer for why I am leaving. Usually the follow-up question after I tell them I am going to school is "what are you going into." I say Political Science, they ask if I am going to run for Governor, I say no, we laugh, the end.

So last week I had to go talk to someone about a project I wanted to get done and they happened to be in the CEO's office. The CEO asked me why I was leaving. I gave the answer I had been telling everyone, I am going to school full-time I can finish faster, etc. He asked what I was studying and I said Political Science and then he asked what political party I belonged to. I was not expecting that. I try to not talk politics at work, it leads to fights. In fact at work a couple of months ago there was a heated discussion about health care that I was fortunate to miss. I did not know what to say. Finally I said I was a Democrat. He then asked me why I was a Democrat. I was so uncomfortable. I usually don't have to justify my political leanings at work and especially not to the CEO of the credit union. I was able to sputter out an answer with a lot of uh and ums, but I did it. It was not an eloquent answer, but I was not expecting to have a political discussion with the CEO.

I guess I will have to get used to it. I am going into Political Science and I will have to defend what my positions are. So here is the short answer in case anyone cares. I am a Democrat because I believe that government helps protect people from greedy individuals and corporations what will take advantage of workers and consumers if given the chance. Government sets rules, regulations, and ideally enforcement of rules which protect people. I think that Republican ideals tend to protect businesses instead of people. Most conservative talk radio hosts make me want to throw my radio out the window when I hear them, and I do believe that George W Bush was a horrible President to put it mildly. Also I am not a Communist or a Socialist, I just don't think that big business should rule my life.

I am not going into Political Science to run for office. I have no interest in being in a campaign and having all the dirt about me come to light. Now there is not a lot of dirt, but they can make anything sound bad. I like the study of politic and I am am really interested in international studies right now. I have no idea what I want to be. Right now I am thinking that after my Bachelors I might look into getting my Masters. But right now I am going to focus on just my Bachelors.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really care what you major in, as long as our discussions aren't about politics! LOL. I'm just teasin' Elizabeth. You're already completely aware of how I feel (yawn) about politics. You're a great student and I just know that you'll continue to get good grades in all of your classes, especially since you'll soon only be worrying about school and not work anymore! Wahooo!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst politics that I have ever dealt with are the politics of the work place. It seems that how well liked you are or who you know counts more than what you can do,& how hard you work.I am Jan's big sis, thus the name.

    ReplyDelete