Sunday, May 9, 2010

School's Out!

My second semester of school is done. I was so glad. I was not terribly interested in my classes, Music and Theater. I know a lot of people love them, I am just not talented in that way. I am content to just listen to a piece of music and think boy that was pretty. I don't need to know what the form is. But now I get a break for three months to catch up on projects that I have been putting off because I was studying.

So there are some changes happening in our household over the next couple of months. The biggest one is that I am quiting my job and going to school full time. I have been thinking about it for awhile. If I go to school full time I can get done with school in 3 semesters. If I work it will take me a lot longer. Finally after waffling back and forth I made my decision. I would take a leap of faith and go to school full time. It is official as of Friday I told my boss that I am quiting July 30th. I know a lot of notice, but I thought they would like to know to find someone to replace me. I was going to wait until the end of the month but I could not wait so I just told her. So I am really nervous to quit my job and just have Jason's income. But I know it will work out. I have decided to take five classes. One is Constitutional Law and I am terrified of that class.

Another change has nothing to do with school, but I am pretty excited about it. I watched the movie Food Inc, which is really good, and realized that I am very ignorant about where my food comes from and how it is processed. So I am making an effort to eat more organic and local. One it is better for me and better for the enviroment. So one of my plans is to can this year. I am hoping that I get enough tomatoes to make tomato juice, tomato sauce, and stewed tomatoes. And I want to try and can peaches, pears, and jam. Today I took my first step. I was visiting my grandma and she gave me all of her empty jars. Next I need to buy a canner. I have never canned before so I am nervous. I have read stories of people's pressure canners exploding and I am afraid of messing up and having exploded tomatoes all over my kitchen. But I will have my dad help me and he is good at that stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I have done a little canning and never used a pressure canner. I thought you only had to use them for meat but I may easily be wrong. Peaches and jam are easy but time consuming. I have been doing freezer jam the last few years, it is REALLY easy and doesn't take much time. Good luck! I need to get into it more again but I think I will wait for Becca to get older before I do too much. Good luck and let me know how it goes with canning and school.

    ReplyDelete