Tomorrow is my first day back to school after 7 years of being away. I would be lying if I said I was not nervous and anxious. After 7 years I wonder if I can pass my classes and if I will remember the things that I learned years ago. But my new first day of school reminds me of when I was a kid and how anxious I was for the first day of school. I remember the night before school started that I would carefully lay out my new school outfit that I was going to wear. I would pick the outfit that I thought was the coolest. I would then carefully pack my backpack with all of the supplies that I needed. I would organize my pencils, pens, and paper. I would worry if my Trapper Keeper was cool enough. I know I am old if I remembr having a Trapper Keeper. I don't even think they have them anymore. Then that night I would barely sleep too nervous about the next day. All of that worry was for nothing because by the end of the year my pencils were all over in my locker and backpack. There was some new style of clothes that I decided that I needed to have and I was just too cool for a Trapper Keeper.
Now my worries are different and looking back on my first days of school years ago I think about how silly it was to worry about my clothes or my Trapper Keeper. Now I worry about wasting my tuition money by not passing my classes or sounding stupid in the dreaded group discussions that I found out one of my classes requires. But there is also an excitement of finally being able to finish what I started years ago and get my degree that I have longed to have. So here is hoping that I will not sound stupid, I will remember what I learned years ago, and that my laptop, my more high-tech Trapper Keeper, is cool enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I used to LOVE Trapper Keepers!!! I had a TON of them not just for school but for all kinds of things (to hold my drawings, my doodling, all of the little stories & lists that I loved to make, the list goes on & on). I know that you'll be great in school Elizabeth, because you love to learn, you're one of the most responsible people I've ever met, and because this is something you want very, very much. I KNOW you'll be GREAT!!!
ReplyDelete