I know that I have not talked a lot about Isaac's adoption, because for some reason I have not felt like I should write about it for our blog. I am not quite sure why. I am willing to talk about it with people in person, but for some reason I just don't feel right writing about it where anyone can read it. However, I read something the other day, that is adoption related, that I wanted to write about. I have heard from several places that adoptive couples try to adopt children so that they can "save" them. A lot of times the term "save" is used in international adoption, but I have also heard it in domestic adoption. I know that I am not an expert on adoption but I have to say that any person who is adopting to save a child, should not be adopting. Adoption is about bringing a child into your home to be a part of your family. No one would say that they saved their biological child and that should never be said about a child that is adopted. Saying that you are saving a child, insinuates that the child owes you. That is not what adoption is about. No child makes the choice of what family they belong too, so parents should never make a child feel like they owe their parents.
I guess the reason that I am writing about this is because I love Isaac so much and could never think of him as a child I saved. We did not save him, he was placed in our home to be a part of our family. We are his parents, not his savior and he is our son, not a person in our debt. We treat him just like he was our biological child, and love him that way too. He does not owe us anything for adopting him. He has brought so much joy to our lives and made our family feel more complete. We feel so grateful and humbled that we get to be his parents and we are so grateful to his wonderful birthmother who chose us to be his parents. We did not save Isaac, if anything we owe him for making our lives better, but that is what family hopefully does; make each other's lives better. I just hope that when he gets older that we have been good enough parents that he will be able to say that we made his life happy and that we were good enough parents to deserve him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wonder if we are reading this in the same place. I follow several trans-racial family blogs and one I follow was talking about something very similar to this recently. It makes me sad that people think this way. I am the one who is "saved" because I have my little one in our home, and I get to be her mom. I am sure you feel that same way. Hope things are going great for you guys.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Love you guys!
ReplyDelete