This weekend was my birthday and I had a three day weekend I was looking forward too. Also this week my mom was having surgery. Nothing big just routine surgery. Tuesday was her surgery, she looked good afterwards. The next day she was having difficulties, but that was kind of normal. Thursday I got off of work early and called my dad. He said my mom had an infection and they were doing tests so I did not see her. Friday, my birthday, I spent lot of time with her. Her pulse was around 140 and she was not feeling well. But they said she was doing better then Thursday so I was optimistic that things would be okay. I left the hospital around 10:30. Just minutes after I left my mom's heart rate jumped up past 200 and her heart beat was irregular. Dad said they were working on her. I told him to keep me updated and I sat by my phone waiting for an update.
At 12:30 my dad called to tell me that they were life flighting my mom to the new hospital in Murray, the same one that my father-in-law died at. Her heart rate was stable but she was very sick and they were worried if she went by ambulance that her vitals could get worse during the drive. It would be an understatement to say that I was worried. I was devastated. I was sure something horrible was going to happen. They don't life flight people unless they are super sick. My dad told me to get some sleep but that was impossible. I cried and cried. I hung onto my phone waiting for a phone call from my dad. I was also afraid for a call wondering if it was the worst news that she had not made it. I have never been so afraid in my life. Finally around 4 I feel asleep due to exhaustion and slept for a little until my dad called me at 6:30. My mom was doing better they had her in the ICU. She was exhausted from not sleeping the last 3 days and they had gotten her to rest. Her vitals were doing better.
Jason and I were suppose to celebrate my birthday on Saturday, but we decided to postpone it until we could enjoy it. Throughout the day we got updates and she was making progress. My dad finally came home to sleep because he was exhausted. Today she is making more progress and is starting to feel a little better. Her heart rate is almost normal, but she still has an infection and will probably be in the ICU for a couple more days.
So that was my weekend, pretty much the worst weekend I have ever had. I am so grateful that my mom is starting to do better and we think that the worst is over. We are hoping that she can come home later this week. Last night I got more sleep, although I feel emotionally exhausted and the littlest thing makes me cry. I am so grateful to our wonderful friends and family who have been so supportive and been willing to help out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I am glad she is doing better and hope she continues to. Take care of yourself the best you can so you don't get sick too okay.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry that this is the worst birthday you've ever had. I feel so bad that we don't live closer so that I could bring you dinner or help you out with anything else you & Jason need. I'm happy to hear that your mom is doing better, though. There are few things in life that cause you more worry than when your family members are sick or in any other kind of trouble. I'm sure the worst is behind her though, just like you said. Keep me posted!
ReplyDelete